Contact us

Phone 52225947 between 3 and 4pm on Tuesdays to speak to us live on air. Email: theblurb947@gmail.com Post: 68-70 Little Ryrie Street, Geelong VIC 3220.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Tuesday December 29th, 2009

A post from Bernard
We must begin by thanking the indomitable Oliver Howson, Pulse's Tuesday Drive presenter, for panelling today's show while Robyn is away. Thanks Oliver!

The news...
Local author Barbara Farmer ("The Seal Woman", etc.) given a Patrick White Award for her services to Ausralian literature.

Today's "Age" has a list p 9 of what people read in 2009 & today's "Australian" has the usual great Review section. The Age's list of best reads for 2009 includes most of the books we have covered in our little book show

YOU can also suggest books to review for the show - contact us via the details listed on this blog page.

Look out for The Australian Literary Review out on the first Wednesday or the month.

"SALT" gallery has new exhibition of dazzling sculptures in stainless steel - Hesse Street, Queenscliff.

Bernard's Recent Reading:

"Nine lives: In search of the sacred in modern India" by William Dalrymple. Another intriguing more-than-travel book, this time in India, by the acclaimed author; new in paperback.

Andrew McGahan's "Wonders Of A Godless World", new paperback novel from the young Queensland writer. Expect the unexpected; I hope to say more when I finish...An intriguing read. Hmmm.

"The Riddle of Father William Hackett" by Brenda Niall. As mentioned in our previous program, the book probably has a limited audience. I loved it: available from the Geelong Regional Library.

William Trevor's 1998 anthology of short stories. A true master of deceptively simple prose, close focus on a couple of lives. So far, so good. Available from the Geelong Regional Library.

"Resisting the enemy"
by Lorraine Campbell: I have had second and more postive thoughts on this WWII love/adventure/historical novel...rating it rather better; I still feel it needed "tighter" editing...Worth a look. In paperback, my copy from Griffiths Bookstore in Geelong.

"Little Scarlet: an Easy Rawlins Novel" by Walter Mosely.
My reading of Mosely's earlier books didn't prepare for a " brighter" feel in this "Easy" Rawlins grungy novel, set amid LA's low-life; there is more of JL Burke's wounded hero Roicheaux here. I love the ability of Mosely's writing's to PLACE
us in a time and space, and the raw (almost "rap") dialogue is as confronting as amusing... Pulp fiction, if I had time, I'd read ALL Mosely.

DON'T FORGET to check out Geelong Regional Library's various branches SUMMER READ program; have a look at the website.

Do we really appreciate our brilliant, generous, inclusive, encouraging library service?

On my bedside table (for when I get time!)
"William Golding: The man who wrote Lord of the Flies" by John Carey

The ever-reliable Anne Tyler's newie, "Noah's Compass", about a newly-tired 61-year-old schoolteacher's striving to adjust to his new life... could be a bit close to the bone for me! My copy from the library, but should be in the shops. I'll review it next time.

The latest edition of Griffith University's "Griffith Review" which I need someone to help me read. Lots of essays re: food and eating.

Tunes:
"All My Trials" Harry Belafonte 1958
"In The Presence of the Lord" from 1968 [?] super group Blind Faith (featuring - Olly and I reckon - Clapton's best studio guitar solo...Big call?)


Poem
Olly read "The Pier" by the late Mallee farmer/poet Phillip Hodgins.

An assignment from an old English teacher who just can't resist:
"The Catcher In the Rye" (1954) - is on the VCE reading list yet again. SHOULD it be? Write/phone/email and tell us.

Robyn will be in Tuesday 5th while I have a break. Happy reading, dear listener....Oh, and Happy New Year. Thanks, Olly, for dragging yourself away from the beach.

Bern

No comments:

Post a Comment